March was a big month for our blog SaaSX with lots of new subscribers and some great content. Here are a few highlights!
Justin kicked March off with 10 SaaS fundamentals that many of us take for granted. Though not intended as a stack rank or complete list of SaaS fundamentals, this list ties back to the 80% of a SaaS’s business that looks very much like every other SaaS’s business. While it’s the other 20% that differentiates, the fact remains that you have to execute against that 80% to even get to the other 20%. This checklist is a great resource for double-checking your work and making sure you’re not leaving out important fundamentals along your SaaS journey.
“Sometimes the best way to get back to basics and execute is to take an objective look at execution against the fundamentals. Those SaaS fundamentals make up the 80% you have to get right before you get to optimize the 20%.”
My first article of March discussed the SDR to AE handoff and the importance of getting it right. Running a sales department is a hands-on operation, day in and day out. As sales leaders, we must constantly review playbooks, listen to calls, evaluate reps, and monitor conversations between SDRs and AEs.
When both SDRs and sales reps have the skills needed to meet your buyers wherever they are in the purchase process, sales teams are so incredibly elegant in their process that prospects never even realize there is a handoff. In this article, I share some tips on getting that handoff just right.
“When sales teams are too process-driven, it’s not going to be a good buyer experience because it forces your buyer into your process instead of meeting the buyer where they are in their process.”
As many of you know, Justin and I are big believers in data-driven SaaS management. Almost everything in a SaaS business can and should be measured. But it’s important to understand that though this data may be understood by you, this does not mean it’s understood by your team. Additionally, if they understand it but perceive the data as shaky or inaccurate, the entire data-driven management process is undermined. Meaningful and trustworthy SaaS data comes with maturity and scale, and in this article, Justin breaks down what that requires – and what that really means. Passionate people get behind data they believe in.
“Trust is critical to belief. Belief is critical to passion. And passion means the difference between striving to think big and settling for incremental gains.”
Most common SaaS problems fall under one of four different categories: People, Product, Playbooks, and Process. I call these the four P’s of SaaS. When the four P’s are all aligned and functioning well, great performance follows. And if we aren’t hitting numbers or executing well, then something within the four P’s isn’t right. In this post, I break down the dangers, complications and subtleties within each of these four P’s, and teach you how to figure out which of the four P’s may be getting in your way.
“When the 4 P’s are aligned, optimized and healthy success is certain to follow. So the next time you are facing a business problem, pull back and evaluate each of these areas. This can be applied at any level of the organization—from company wide to a department to a team.”
Emily Alford published a great article on the SaaSX blog last month, providing a reality check to readers facing high customer churn early in their onboarding process. It can be hard to admit that your onboarding process could be to blame for new customers ghosting you, but a recent study done by Hubspot found that 60% of churned customers could not see the value in the product, and churned as a result of that operational disconnect. A strong onboarding process can keep customers interested in your product by quickly (and accurately!) proving value. In this article, Emily asks some important questions to help you find the holes in your onboarding process.
“No matter how simple and desired outcome-driven you think your onboarding process is, if you fail to make a good first impression, your customers could be coming away unsatisfied.”
Justin closed March out with a great piece on SaaS learning loops, and how to build effective learning loops that will empower your team and help your company grow. Over the years I can’t even tell you how many times we’ve seen concentrated pockets of institutional knowledge in growing SaaS companies. The result of that concentration is much more than dependency on those individuals. It directly impacts scalability even more significantly – it retards momentum and growth. How effective are your SaaS learning loops?
“It’s all very simple. The idea is to build upon what you’ve done. And for new ideas and refinements to be inspired by that water under the bridge. A cultural mandate and a few extra minutes a day can translate into incredible value and competitive advantage. And, in the end, pockets of deep institutional knowledge are widened — reducing dependencies and dramatically increasing your organization’s scalability.”
We hope you will join us over on the SaaSX blog where we write about lots of stuff just like this! Plus we’ve got podcasts, calculators, scorecards, and ebooks, so hop on over there.